Women often think that great foundation only comes with a hefty price. These days, you do not have to splurge on makeup all the time because there are less expensive yet amazing alternatives that you can find in your neighborhood drugstore.
If you are short on cash, worry no more because you can complete your stash without breaking the bank and compromising your look.
Table of Contents
We searched the net and discovered the best drugstore foundations that beauty editors, makeup vloggers, beauty bloggers and makeup artists swear by.
- Maybelline FIT Me Dewy + Smooth. This is truly one of the best drugstore foundations for normal to dry skin. It illuminates and smoothens the skin without the dreaded masked on finish. It has SPF 18 which is good if you wear foundation every day. If you have a normal to oily skin, we recommend that you use Maybelline FIT Me Matte + Poreless foundation instead.
- L.F Acne fighting Foundation. Dealing with a breakout? With this lightweight foundation, you will be able to fully cover your pimples and redness without causing more harm to your skin. It contains acne clearing ingredient, Salicylic Acid which is combined with natural extracts, Tea Tree oil and aloe which have anti-bacterial and wound healing properties. Hands down this is truly one of the best drugstore foundations for acne prone skin.
- L’OREAL True Match Super Blendable Makeup. Loyal users love how this foundation matches the user’s skin tone perfectly. Another plus point is how super-blendable the formula is. It provides full coverage for long hours and doesn’t get cakey at all. This is one of the best foundations for sensitive skin since it doesn’t contain oil, fragrances and pore clogging fillers.
- Wet n Wild Photofocus Foundation. This skin perfecting foundation makes you flawlessly instagrammable. It is specially formulated with a matte, light-adjusting complex that prevents your skin from getting that off putting white mask appearance in photos. No need for filter anymore and if you want a fail proof selfie, try out this one.
- Revlon Nearly Naked with SPF 20. This foundation is amazingly light. It melts into your skin that you will forget you’re wearing foundation. This can be your go to makeup foundation for “no makeup” makeup look. It is also good to use during summer. The coverage is sheer to medium with a satiny finish.
- Revlon Colorstay Foundation 24 hrs. This is truly one of the best long lasting drugstore foundations for combination/oily skin. If you want an inexpensive makeup foundation that will stay on your face from sunrise till the wee hours, this may just be your perfect match. You don’t have to worry about touch ups because your T-zone will remain shine free all day long without the cakey feeling.
- NYX Can’t Stop Won’t Stop Foundation. This new foundation from another reliable drugstore makeup brand NYX, offers full coverage. It leaves a beautiful natural looking matte finish which is long lasting too. It is lightweight, waterproof, transfer resistant and suits all skin types. What more can you ask for? This amazing foundation comes in 45 shades! There’s definitely one to perfectly match your skin tone.
- Rimmel Instaflawless Radiant Skin Tint Foundation SPF 15. If you are not after full coverage, this lightweight tint foundation will satisfy your makeup cravings. It provides a sheer to light coverage that mimics a natural glow. This one’s really good for days when you want to look polished without having to use too much makeup. It’s formulated with hydrating ingredients that promises to keep your skin moisturized all day long.
- Revlon Youth FX Fill + Blur Foundation SPF 20. You do not have to spend so much on high end brands to mask aging skin. Revlon Youth FX is a great foundation for wrinkles and other skin imperfections that comes with age because it is formulated with micro-fillers and optical diffusers that instantly transforms the appearance of lines and wrinkles. This is suitable for normal to dry skin. Best to use it with Revlon Youth FX fill + blur concealer and primer.
- Covergirl Trublend Matte Made Foundation. Finding a foundation that stay puts on oily skin can be quite challenging. Some brands come on to thick and obvious while others look cakey and dry. Good news is Covergirl’s Trublend is most suitable for this skin type. It blends easily, feels light and looks naturally matte. This foundation is formulated with flexi-hold technology that creates a thin flexible film on skin. It is also infused with mattifying powders that prevent shine for 12 hours.
How To Apply Foundation Like A Pro
Foundation helps to cover skin imperfections and make skin appear flawless. Using the right tools for application is the key to maximizing the effects of your foundation. Also make sure that you start with a fresh canvas. Always prep your skin before applying makeup – Cleanse, tone and moisturize.
Know how to apply foundation like a pro by following these simple tips:
Liquid, Gel, Mousse or Cream Foundation
- Fingers.Use your wrist as your foundation palette. Dip your ring finger into it then apply on your face using circular motions. Make sure to blend and spread the foundation evenly. If you have oily skin, use foundation brushes or makeup sponges to apply liquid foundation.
- Tapered Foundation Brush. Use the brush to apply liquid foundation on your face with short, downward and outward paint like strokes. Always begin on the center of your face then move outwards. Blend down to the upper part of the neck to avoid demarcation line.
- Stippling Brush. If you prefer sheer coverage, use this type of brush to apply your liquid foundation. Use stippling strokes to apply and press the foundation on your face. Just lightly press the brush onto your skin until your face is fully covered with foundation.
- Round Foundation Brush. Apply liquid foundation on your face with fingers or flat brush. Then blend the foundation by swirling and stroking the brush on your face. These circular motions will prevent creases or lines.
- Beauty Blender. Wet your beauty blender then squeeze out excess liquid. Apply foundation on the back of your hand then dip the rounded end of the beauty blender into it or you can simply dot the liquid foundation straight onto your face. Then apply foundation on your face by gently bouncing or stippling the blender all over your face.
- Flat Top Kabuki Brush. Dot the foundation all over your face. Add more to areas that need more coverage. Next, dab the kabuki brush on your face to blend and spread the foundation evenly. Alternate sweeping and swirling motions as you blend.
- Oval Brush. Add a small amount of foundation onto the oval brush. Then apply on your face with a single sweep. Blend by lightly gliding the brush back and forth in circular motions.
Loose or Mineral Powder Foundation
- Round Kabuki Brush. Swirl around the powder onto the container then dust off the excess. Gently apply all over your face using buffing motions. Buff a little more on your T-zone to prevent shine.
Pressed Powder Foundation
- Kabuki or Round Foundation Brush. Swirl the makeup brush on the pressed powder to coat the bristles well. Then shake off excess powder. Press the brush on your skin with light rolling motion working from the center of your face outward. Apply a little more powder on areas that need more coverage.
- Beauty Sponge. For fuller coverage, use a damp makeup sponge to apply the pressed powder foundation. Wet the sponge then squeeze out the excess water. Then dab it onto the foundation. Apply the foundation all over your face by gently dabbing the sponge onto your skin beginning on the center of your face outward.
- Built In Puff. Use this for touch ups. Gently dab onto your t-zone and other areas where foundation has faded.