BB cream also called “blemish balm” or “beauty balm” is a great alternative to foundation. This is the perfect go-to makeup when you want to take a break from being fully made up.
BB creams are formulated to make you look flawless without looking too made up. The sheer coverage isn’t the only thing users rave about. BB cream also hydrates, nourishes, regenerates and protects the skin.
This all-in-one beauty product is truly a must-have. If you do not have one yet, it’s time to discover the best BB creams of 2019 and add one to your makeup stash.
Here are our expert recommendations for best BB creams of 2019:
- Estée Lauder Day Wear Anti-Oxidant BB. Perfect for oily skin because this beauty benefit crème effectively lifts the skin while controlling excess oil all at once. It is also packed with anti-oxidants and broad spectrum SPF 35 protection.
No need for reapplication because the sheer coverage lasts all day long. It is non-Acnegenic so you can wear this every day without having to worry about skin breakouts.
- Garnier BB Cream Miracle Skin Perfector “Daily Shine Control”. One of the best BB creams you can find in the drugstore. This works well on combination to oily skin. It is packed with mineral pigments that leave your skin with a flawless glowy finish.
Garnier is very lightweight and easy to blend. It has SPF 15 protection too. You can look good even when you’re in a budget.
- Missha M Perfect Cover BB Cream. Korean BB creams are known for its ultra-light texture and amazing coverage. Users love how natural, glowy and flawless their skin looked with just a tiny drop of this BB cream.
This beauty balm comes with SPF 42. It is formulated with anti-aging caviar and algae extracts. A little of this goes a long way so you really get your money’s worth.
- Bobbi Brown BB Cream. This blemish balm is perfect for oily and combination skin. The finish is somewhat satiny that suits oily skin so well. It has ingredients that controls shine, reduce wrinkles and moisturizes skin.
The all-in-one formula will illuminate your skin, reduce discoloration and redness after prolonged use. It also has SPF 35 that shields your skin from harmful rays.
- MAC Prep & Prime Beauty Balm. If your skin needs a dose of life after pulling an all-nighter, use this BB cream to bring back the glow. Its matte finish illuminates dull skin and keep blemishes out of sight.
You’ll fall in love with how it can magically erase under eye circles too. The light-medium coverage stays on all day. It has SPF 35 protection.
- Clinique Acne Solutions BB Cream broad Spectrum. This is specially formulated for Acne prone skin. It effectively hides pimples and blemishes without clogging the pores.
It is also easy to blend onto your skin. The matte finish leaves no shine on the face and stays on beautifully for hours. It has SPF 40 as well.
- Smashbox Camera Ready BB Cream. If you have dry skin, opt to get this BB cream which leaves an adorable radiant finish. It provides light to medium coverage and leaves your skin amply moisturized.
The formula easily blends on dry skin. It also has SPF 35 protection. It has been tagged as “The 5-in-1 Miracle Worker!” because it promises to polish, moisturize, prime, protect and perfect your skin.
- Physicians Formula Super BB #InstaReady. If you love taking selfies, this BB cream is your soulmate. The lightweight formula glides onto the skin so smoothly and leaves a semi-matte finish. Blemishes, shine, pores and fine lines instantly disappear.
This cream stays true to its claim. It will make you selfie ready in a jiffy. You can bravely skip the filter with this one.
- Maybelline Dream Fresh BB Cream. Another awesome drugstore find. This is an 8-in-1 Beauty Balm that is formulated to perfect your skin’s appearance instantly.
If you are not a fan of matte then try this one because it gives a dewy finish. We love how well it adjusts to one’s skin tone and covers imperfections. Its water-gel formula leaves the skin looking and feeling fresh all day.
- Jart+ Premier Blemish Base BB Cream. This cream is most suitable for mature skin because it is specially formulated with strong anti-ageing ingredients and reliable sunshield (SPF 45).
If you want a BB cream that can correct uneven skintone, dryness and fine lines, this is the one for you. You will also love its radiant and dewy finish. Premier BB suits all skin types including sensitive skin.
How To Apply BB Cream
There are three ways of applying BB cream. Follow these easy steps and just keep on practicing till you nail the method that you’d be most comfortable with.
- Apply BB cream using your fingers. Squeeze a small amount of cream onto your palm or back of your hand. Dip your ring finger into the cream and lightly dab dots onto your forehead, cheeks, chin and tip of your nose.
Next, blend the BB cream from the center of your face then work your way outwards. Continue massaging the cream on your face so until it is fully absorbed by your skin. Dab a little more cream onto areas with blemishes.
- Apply BB cream using a flat oval brush. Begin by dotting cream onto your forehead, nose, cheeks and chin with your fingers. You may also apply the BB cream directly on to your brush before applying it on your face.
With a flat oval brush, sweep the cream from the center then outwards or use light buffing motions to spread the product on your face. Do not rub the cream on your face with your brush.
- Apply BB cream using an egg shaped makeup sponge. Wet the sponge with water, then squeeze out the excess. Put a little amount of BB cream onto the back of your hand. Dip the rounded end of into the cream then start applying it onto your face.
For a flawless finish, gently dab or buff each area until the cream is fully absorbed by your skin. Do not sweep or rub the product on your face. Note: If you do not have an egg shaped beauty blender you can use a flat sponge or a disposable makeup wedge instead.
Make sure to clean your tools after using them to prevent bacteria buildup. Use a special cleanser for your brush. For your makeup sponge, clean it under running warm water while adding mild soap or facial cleanser.
Gently rub off stains until water runs clear. Dry it using a towel. Make sure to replace your sponge every three months.
How to Choose a BB Cream
There are many variants of BB creams in the market and choosing the best one for you can be a little confusing so here’s a quick guide to simplify your selection process.
- Skin Type. You need to match your BB cream to your skin type to get the best results. If you have dry skin, choose one that’s packed with hydrating and moisturizing agents. For oily to combination skin, get an oil-free and mattifying BB cream. If you have acne prone skin, get an Acne solutions type of cream.
- Shade. Choose a shade that’s really close to your skin tone. Make sure to color test it before you purchase.
Here’s an easy way to do a test: swipe a little of the BB cream on your jawline so you can clearly see how the shade blends with the color of your face and neck.
If it disappears as you dab it onto your skin, you’ve found your match.
- Age. Skin concerns vary depending on the user’s age. If you fall under the 20-30 yrs. old age group, opt to get BB creams that are thinner in consistency.
Avoid products with ingredients that are meant to combat ageing because these may adversely affect your skin texture.
For women 40 years and up, choose anti-Aging BB creams which are packed with Vitamin C, higher SPF level, moisturizers and botanical extracts.
- SPF. Do not get a BB cream that has no SPF. UV rays protection should be part of the package or it defeats the purpose of being an all-in-one makeup product. Get one that has SPF 15 and above.
BB creams are a great quick-fix solution to cover unwanted blemishes on your face. It is best advised to use this product during lazy weekends, traveling or those days when time is not on your side. With this lifesaver you can still go out looking fresh without having to go through your standard makeup routine.