Airbrush makeup is a favorite choice among women for its ability to achieve a flawless and retouched look. A professional makeup artist offers the services, or you can purchase a kit, which allows you to reach the look from home.
Table of Contents
- What is Airbrush Makeup?
- Why do People Love Airbrush Makeup?
- What is the Difference Between Airbrush Makeup and Traditional Makeup?
- Choosing the Right Airbrush Makeup Kit
- 1. Photo Finish Professional Airbrush Makeup System Kit
- 2. Complete Professional Belloccio Airbrush Cosmetic Makeup System
- 3. Pinkiou Airbrush Makeup Kit
- 4. Temptu 2.0 Deluxe Airbrush Makeup Kit
- 5. Luminess Air Legend Airbrush Makeup kit
What is Airbrush Makeup?
Airbrush makeup was originally made famous in film, television, and movies. It made an emergence with many women for use in special events and weddings. The technique utilizes a powered compressor to apply a fine mist of makeup on to the skin. The airbrush system can be customized to suit light, dark, and detailed makeup applications by changing the air pressure. The airbrush makeup technique can be used for foundation, eyeshadow, lips, eyebrows, and for contouring.
Why do People Love Airbrush Makeup?
The Airbrush makeup technique was first used in the 1959 movie Ben Hur and became very popular in High Definition films for its ability to hide fine lines and wrinkles. Today, women, top beauty experts, makeup artists, and even men, love using an airbrush for the many benefits it provides including its lightweight and long-lasting wearability.
Women who are looking for a flawless, matte finish, can look forward to the many advantages of using airbrush makeup kits at home. With the airbrush technique, you can reach a perfect finish in less than 10 minutes. If you have an upcoming wedding or special event, your polished airbrushed look will last up to 24 hours through sweat, and water. Also, your skin will look healthier with less makeup application than you would usually use.
Many people love the airbrush technique because it eliminates the need for sponge blending. With the fine mist in the air compressor, you can blend, contour, and highlight. This also allows you to transition from daytime and evening looks with one tool. Since the air compressor never touches your face, many people consider this to be a cleaner and more hygienic way to apply makeup. It also eliminates the need to clean all those dirty brushes.
Once airbrush makeup has been applied, it will not smudge or rub off, which means it’s water and sweat proof. This is one of the reasons why it is a popular choice for bridal parties and other special events.
What is the Difference Between Airbrush Makeup and Traditional Makeup?
Traditional makeup is used most often and requires an arsenal of tools. Although makeup preferences will vary depending on skin type, most women are familiar with concealer, foundation, blush, eyeshadow, eyeliner, mascara, and lipstick. Many different looks can be achieved using traditional make-up, and with practice anyone can learn traditional makeup techniques.
The airbrushing technique uses a freehand method combined with distance and air pressure to apply makeup through a dual, or single action air compressor. The makeup is applied through the compressor, or gun, in a thin layer.
There are a few differences between these two makeup applications, the first, is personal preference. Some people prefer their traditional makeup brushes, sponges, and various tools. Alternatively, other people enjoy the use of one universal tool for makeup application.
With traditional makeup, there are several products to choose from, which means your coverage can vary between cream, liquid, powder, and many other options. For this reason, traditional makeup can take longer to apply and offers a thicker consistency and a wider range of coverages.
Airbrush foundations are available in either silicone or water-based, which allow for a much lighter coverage and a consistent application. Finally, when deciding between traditional and airbrush makeup, affordability is a major factor.
When it comes to traditional makeup, there is a broad range of price options available, and you can build up your collection slowly. With airbrush makeup, you can purchase a high-quality kit, which offers a compressor, airbrush gun, and bottles of foundation for around $300. There are more inexpensive models available, but traditional makeup is the most affordable option.
Choosing the Right Airbrush Makeup Kit
If you would like to create your own glamorous makeup from home, you can purchase an airbrush makeup kit. With all the options available in the industry, it can be overwhelming for beginners to select the correct product. Each kit has its advantages and disadvantages, so when purchasing look for the best quality kit within your price range.
It is also a good idea to pay close attention to any ratings and always purchase a unit that works with your coverage needs. If you will be using the machine daily, it is important to invest additional money into your kit to ensure it lasts. While most kits come with a user’s manual, novices who have never tried airbrushing should consider purchasing an extended manual.
Once you have selected your makeup kit, you can begin practicing airbrush makeup techniques and learn how to avoid common mistakes. There are also several foundation options that you will need to familiarize yourself with after you have chosen your unit.
Best Airbrush Makeup Kits
Now that you are familiar with the basics of airbrushing, you can begin shopping for your supplies. To assist you along the way, I have reviewed some of the best airbrush makeup kits for you and chosen five to share with you.
1. Photo Finish Professional Airbrush Makeup System Kit
This five-piece airbrush makeup kit was designed with the professional makeup artist in mind but works great for home use. The Photo Finish Airbrush Makeup Kit is all-inclusive and one of the most affordable kits on the market. Additionally, none of the products are tested on animals, which is something I appreciate as a vegetarian and animal lover.
The makeup provides a flawless and sheer coverage that works well for any skin type. If you find yourself with combination skin or desire different coverages throughout the day, this system might be perfect for you.
- Photo Finish makeup is mineral based and all natural, which means it contains no harsh preservatives, chemicals, alcohol, or parabens.
- All the makeup is oil-free ensuring a flawless, matte, and light weight finish. Women who don’t wear much makeup might enjoy the lightweight finish.
- Sheer to full coverage works for all normal, dry, and combination skin types
- This long-lasting makeup will last for up to 24 hours without smudging. It is also water and sweat resistant, which makes it ideal for special occasions as well as everyday use.
- Although the Photo Finish makeup kit works great for beginners and professionals, you will still need to practice your technique to achieve your desired results.
- This system is costly when compared to traditional makeup methods
- If you are elderly or have a lot of wrinkles and fine lines; this product could settle into the problem areas and accentuate them.
2. Complete Professional Belloccio Airbrush Cosmetic Makeup System
The Complete Professional Makeup System by Belloccio might be an ideal choice for a budding makeup artist, or for someone who is interested in breaking into the cosmetic airbrushing industry. When you purchase this makeup system, you will receive the mini airbrush compressor, airbrush gun, a 17-set foundation color set, blush, shimmer, and bronzer. The kit also includes concealer, blending sponges, and finishing spray.
The Belloccio system applies makeup evenly onto your skin using a fine mist, this eliminates clogged pores. If you have any scars, acne, birthmarks, or imperfections, you might appreciate the foundation for its ability to even and balance your complexion.
- All the makeup is hypoallergenic and dermatologist recommended.
- The products contain moisturizing antioxidants, which promote healthy, youthful looking skin.
- Lightweight makeup that lasts all day without the need for touchups
- Beginners can learn how to apply airbrush makeup within minutes and achieve a flawless look every day.
- There have been complaints about the company’s branding methods and website.
- The initial cost of the Belloccio system is affordable; however, the makeup refills will set you back between $20-$30 per bottle, not including standard shipping.
- Your foundation options include ivory, golden tan, cappuccino, and beige, but, you cannot achieve your desired effect unless you use the primer with the foundation.
- The needle holder is prone to falling off and can easily fall down the drain, or other small spaces. If the needle is removed from the unit, it will not stay properly in place, and a replacement is required.
3. Pinkiou Airbrush Makeup Kit
If you enjoy DIY projects like cake decorating, nail art, or tattoo design, the Pinkiou Airbrush Makeup Kit could be great for you. It’s an excellent makeup kit for personal use, and it doubles for a variety of other projects. This would be very useful for me when doing crafts and decorations for holidays. This kit is crafted with the highest quality components, enabling efficient spray control.
This product is lightweight and is easy to carry around, which is great when you are on the go or are packing for special occasions. It also works with most water-based foundations, making it easier to find affordable makeup options.
- The air compressor is quiet and durable with three adjustable pressures to control the air flow.
- This maintenance free unit is easy to clean and easy to operate.
- When compared with the airbrush makeup kits on the market, the Pinkiou unit is by far one of the most affordable units.
- The makeup sprays within the suitable PSI ranges but offers additional flow for color changes and stage or runway work.
- The kit lacks any instructions from the manufacturer regarding cleaning, and how to use the machine.
- There are no foundation colors or makeup included with the Pinkiou system.
- There are no cleaning brushes, sponges, or tools included with this kit.
- Some customers reported the compressor lacked the power they needed.
4. Temptu 2.0 Deluxe Airbrush Makeup Kit
The Temptu Deluxe Airbrush Makeup Kit is a favorite among makeup artists of varying skillsets because it comes with a complete color library. The library set includes the entire foundation, blush, highlighter, contour, and bronze essentials. In addition, you will receive your air compressor and an air gun designed for continuous flow.
This makeup kit was designed for makeup and light body contouring and offers a natural, healthy glow for up to 14 hours. Another excellent feature is the lightweight compressor, which is outfitted with a dual voltage battery. This can be helpful if you are a traveling makeup artist as this unit was designed for distance.
- This system offers 12 different foundation colors.
- Small, lightweight air compressor with a rechargeable battery.
- A specialized cleaning kit and formula is included with your purchase.
- The makeup you will receive is non-comedogenic, paraben free, and oil free.
- Most expensive kits on the market.
- Cleaning the equipment can be time-consuming
- The silicone based foundation can feel heavy than the lightweight water-based foundation in other makeup kits.
- The air gun needle size doesn’t work well for fine detail work.
5. Luminess Air Legend Airbrush Makeup kit
The Luminess Air Legend Makeup Kit is a versatile tool that allows you to eliminate fine lines and wrinkles in one application. This is great because many women are on the go and don’t have time to achieve the flawless finish they desire. It’s important to feel good about yourself, and this kit can help you achieve that professional makeup look, without incurring the salon cost.
The legend is a versatile tool that you can use to apply all your makeup including moisturizer, primer, blush, bronzer, and much more. Thanks to its soft motor, you can apply all your makeup without waking the children, this is something I would consider a major selling point when purchasing a kit.
- Legend cosmetics are dermatologist approved and tested, making them suitable for multiple skin types.
- Makeup is designed to eliminate wrinkles and even skin tone to achieve a youthful and natural appearance.
- Only one application is necessary to achieve the desired results and touchups are not required.
- It can be difficult to find and reach the exact shade for your skin and it can get expensive.
- Luminess does not provide spare, or replacement parts for their parts, therefore, if anything breaks, or stops working, the entire machine is no longer usable.
- Customers have complained about inflated and limited shipping availability with Luminess.
- Some people have reported that the makeup is runny and unusable.
While all of these airbrush makeup kits will provide you with the natural and flawless look that you desire, I prefer the Photo Finish airbrush makeup kit. The Photo Finish kit offers a high-quality machine, affordable price, and makeup variety in one versatile system. This system is considered one of the most comprehensive airbrush makeup systems on the market, all for under $100.
As someone who is not a stranger to applying makeup, but not an advanced makeup artist, I felt this would be the best system for every day women. I also prefer this system because it is mineral based and not tested on animals. Finally, this product is backed by dozens of positive reviews. Specifically, 6 out of every 10 users are 100% satisfied with this airbrush makeup kit.