How important is a full coverage concealer in your make-up routine? Maybe you’ve never thought about it, but it’s just as important for you to find the right concealer as it is to find the right foundation or eye product. Once you’ve found the ideal products that suit your needs, you’ll find that making up will become less tiresome.
As you wear make-up because you want to look good at all times, surely it’s worth investing a little more when purchasing a new product. No doubt you’ve already tried using cheaper products and were disappointed with them as they weren’t worth the money you spent on them.
Of course, your concealer needs to be affordable, but if you look carefully you’ll find one that is affordable but is also of good quality and easy to use.
Whether your skin is scarred or you suffer from acne it will make all the difference to helping you achieve that flawless look that you’ve been longing for.
Table of Contents
Our Top 5 Favorites
To enable you to make a decision when choosing a concealer, we have compiled a list of our 5 favorites; products that are affordable but still offer full coverage. Whatever your skin type you’ll find one to suit you here.
Check them out to see if the right one for you is among them.
Neutrogena Skinclearing Blemish Concealer
Should you suffer from skin irritation or acne this will offer you full coverage with no side effects. As it contains ingredients to help clear acne this is ideal for sufferers. You’ll be treating your skin at the same time as you are covering it. No need to worry that you’ll make the problem worse by using make-up.
Its texture is smooth; it blends in easily and lets your skin breath. But it isn’t the best product if you’re looking for something to cover those dark circles around your eyes. On the plus side, it’s great at covering scars or freckles. It’s a great product if you’re just looking for basic coverage.
As it’s compact it’s suitable to keep in your purse for daily use. So, if you’re looking for something compact that offers quality at an excellent price that will also help control your acne then you need to look no further.
- Superb if you suffer with acne or have sensitive skin
- Covers smoothly
- It’s not too expensive
- The colors labeled do not correspond completely to the actual colors
- Application is not as easy as with other products
Maybelline New York Face Studio Master Conceal Makeup
If you’re looking for something you can carry with you anywhere then this is the right product for you. It’s really small so will fit into the smallest of pockets. But don’t be put off by the size – you need so little for application that it really lasts a long time. A real plus point is that it comes in 5 different colors so there’s bound to be a hue that will suit your coloring.
It’s simple to apply because, unlike many concealers, it is thin in texture. But it is strong in concentration so it does a good job of covering blemishes. Whether you’re just looking to cover any flaws in your skin or the dark bags under your eyes it works perfectly. While giving you that flawless look you’re aiming for, it also gives your skin a lovely glow.
- It’s compact enough to carry around with you
- Application is simple and it blends in easily
- A little goes a very long way
- Possible not thick enough for some
- Doesn’t offer colors suitable for lighter skin types
Milani Conceal + Perfect-2-in-1 Foundation Concealer
For women with a darker skin color or for summer wear when you have a fantastic suntan This Milani concealer for dark skin is really a must have. As it’s so compact you can carry it with you everywhere – it will fit in your purse or even in your pocket. Its rich pigmentation is perfect for covering any embarrassing blemishes you wish to hide.
It will give you full coverage anywhere you use it on your face, whether you need it for your cheeks or to cover the dark rings around your eyes. Believe it or not, but it will even cover those wrinkles that you’ve suddenly noticed appearing. As the name says this 2-in-1 means that you can use it either as a concealer or as a foundation. What’s more it lasts for many hours.
Application is simple and it blends in easily. For women with oily skin it’s the perfect choice as it has a matte finish. This is just the right product for you if you’re looking for something you can afford that has superb quality and actually functions as you want it to.
- It’s not too heavy and it allows your skin to breath
- It will last throughout the day (or night!)
- Application is simple
- Not the best product if you have dry skin
- As it’s highly pigmented it may be too dark for some
Laura Mercier Secret Concealer
This concealer comes in a really classy package. Despite being classy it is compact enough to fit into your make-up bag should you need to reapply during the day. This product works absolute miracles for anyone who has dark circles around their eyes. It really is the best eye concealer around and it’s even great for those who have sensitive skin. Whether your skin is oily, normal or dry this product will work well for you.
It’s a little more expensive that other items but it definitely offers quality. You can be sure that this Laura Mercier product is also the best concealer for blemishes, whether you are looking to cover scarring, acne or freckles.
Application is simple and it is easy to blend in. This is due to the creamy texture of the product. It’s the perfect product for most women but not exactly ideal if you’re looking to cover wrinkles.
- The texture is really smooth
- It’s suitable for all skin types
- It’s perfect to use on sensitive skin
- Doesn’t work to cover wrinkles
- You need a brush to apply is correctly
Tarte Shape Tape Contour Concealer
Have you always dreamed of finding a concealer that actually does what it says and gives you that complete coverage that you need? Made with licorice root, shea butter, peony and vitamin E the Tarte Shape Tape is the best full coverage concealer is on the market. It’s just what your skin needs as it will help it remain smooth. There’s no chance of it aggravating your skin as it doesn’t contain any harmful ingredients.
This product not only gives you full coverage but it blends in easily and is smooth on your skin. No matter what your skin type, oily, normal or dry, this demi-matte concealer will provide you with that flawless look that lasts all day.
This is just the product for you if you want something that will brighten your skin but not make it look shiny and will also allow it to breathe. What’s more, it offers top quality at a good price.
- It’s suitable whatever your skin type
- Your skin will benefit as it contains moisturizer
- You can rely on it to give you full coverage
- Possibly a little too cakey
- More expensive than any drug store version
What To Look For
Although we are attracted to the packaging of a product this is not enough when purchasing a full coverage concealer. If you don’t know what suits your skin type, you’ll end up wasting your money. It’s also not enough to buy a product just because a friend recommends it. What suits her may not necessarily suit you.
So, if you’re looking to buy the right concealer you first need to consider the following:
- Is your skin oily, normal or dry? If your skin is oily, it probably looks shiny whatever make-up you’ve tried. If your skin is dry, you possibly get embarrassed with flaky patches. By understanding your skin type you’ll be able to choose the right concealer to give you the exact cover that you need and also make your skin look flawless. And isn’t that why you have decided to buy a concealer?
- Are you looking to hide large pores? You’ve probably considered buying a creamy concealer. Forget it, that’s not the product for you. Although creamy concealers are great products they definitely don’t work when trying to cover pores. For some reason, they seem to do exactly the opposite – they enhance the pores. A matte finish concealer is what you need to purchase.
- Do you want to cover those wrinkles that seem to be appearing more and more? Wrinkles are part of the natural aging process, but that doesn’t mean to say that we have to show them off as we get older. The wrong product, such as a matte concealer, will only exaggerate them so it’s important to choose the right one. Any fine lines and wrinkles are covered better with liquid concealer. This is because it doesn’t crease on your skin.
- Are you looking for a rich pigmentation to cover any dark spots or scars? Foundation alone is not enough if you need to hide any scarring, possible chemical stains or darker freckles. By choosing the right concealer your problem will be solved. Maybe you just need light coverage where a product with a thin texture will be enough for you. Or are you looking for something that will completely cover any blemishes? Then you need something with a higher pigmentation.
- Come mid-day does your skin tend to look shiny? Oily skin just seems to look shinier after applying make-up if you use the wrong products. If you suffer from oily skin then you need to look for a product with a matte finish.
- How important is the packaging to you? If you carry your make-up with you everywhere then how it’s presented could be important. But if it’s not easy to apply then it’s not going to be suitable for you. You also need to think whether the packaging is worth the price. The packaging may look good but is the product long lasting, is it affordable and what about the quality. Packaging alone is not enough. It could be compact, look good but at the same time be expensive. If it were too compact you’d possibly need to replace it after a short period of time.
- Do you suffer from acne? If so you need a product that will not only hide the spots but one that will also help clear them. It’s not easy to find the right product if you do suffer with acne as greasy products could make the problem worse while drier textures could irritate your skin. You need to look for a product that will let your skin breathe.
- Are you sensitive to fragrances? Should this be the case then you need to look for a fragrance-free product. If the product has an extremely strong smell it could cause headaches for some.
When looking for the right product that lies within your budget make sure that it matches the foundation that you normally wear. It may take a while before you find just the right product, but it will be worth the time spent. When you’ve eventually found the ideal concealer, you’ll have something that you can rely on for years to come.
All of the above mentioned products offer coverage that you will be satisfied with but they vary in price. There’s something there for everyone whether you’re dark skinned or fair skinned, whether you suffer from acne or just want to cover blemishes. Or whether you’re budgeting or willing to pay out a little more for the right product. You’ll be amazed at the difference the right concealer will make to you give you that flawless look.